Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Waiting for the Shed



Last two days have been wait time for the shed. No word yet on exactly when it will be delivered. Robert pointed out the was some fire damage in his shed. The wood look black and charred but it does not rub off and there is some white powdery stuff near it. Its only up in to soffet area around the ends of the rafters. I did not notice any similar damage in mine, but its not here yet and I did not have a ladder to check things. Maybe it will come tomorrow.
I had noticed all the sheds were without any real ventilation other then garage doors. Chris's the largest one had a small air conditioner poked thru the wall. It has barnacle like mold on the edge of the soffet for nearly 2 feet. I internet-checked up on moisture and mildew and finally found some information on mildew and prevention and repair. Looks like we will need some bleach water and maybe some paint and ofcourse adding some ventilation. I already have some soffet vents and two ridge vents to put in before I even think about windows. Actually we may never put windows but maybe a cupola which would give us both skylight and ventilation. If it just for storage windows will just be one more place for water to come in. I probably need to check my attic ridge vent next am up there and make sure there is no mildew evidence. Now I am certain that I will put that tar paper under the building as a vapor barrier to prevent any water from venting up from the ground. Its not as nice as a waterproofed basement but we don't get that much rain here anyway. If we poured footings those would be waterproofed. The water might stand on the tar paper but probably not for long. Water seeping up from the ground is more likely.
Air conditioner just turned on and its set for 80 F, will reset to 81. Attic is 113 F and its 1847hrs with a hot wind blowing across the property. Outside temperature is 100 F. We will have clouds again tonight so I may not head up to see check the attic vents from the inside. I might crawl thru the Pyracantha one day and check the other attic. Yuck, I better be very bored before I do that. Anway the picture is of the rolled up devil weed that I need to cart away tomorrow and hopefully get ready for the shed. The vicuna flowers above the water cooler are surviving but the sun has bleached out most of the color I checked and they used to get very little afternoon sun. Not many choices in that location just sun or more sun. At least the watering is automatic.
The picture is of the area where the shed will go and the low piles of devil weed were 5 times higher before I figured how to roll them into tight bundles. They actually stick to each other and make it pretty simple.
Some discussion about hooking up the chain link fence after the shed is in. I had thought of just putting it inside the fence and forgetting about digging holes for two endposts ( they are different from between posts). Another approach is to attach bolts to the side of the house and just bring the fence up to house. Robert is in favor of getting complete endposts and hardware, digging holes and cementing them in place, then getting a come-along and stringing each side. I will look into both methods, my approach is definitely cheaper and faster though I will have to add two timbers(4by 4s) to the garage corners to be sure its strong enough. I will price the eye bolts to put thru the walls. Looks like I get a trip to Home Depot or Tractor supply for those items. Lowe's does not carry that stuff. I probably need to check on the side gate and see if I need stuff to finish that. I know I will need a couple posts for that.
I finally got some other flowers in the garden area too.

No comments:

Post a Comment